Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Censorship!

I was having what I considered to be an abstract discussion of censorship
and infringement of freedom of speech rights with a rather liberal sparring
partner I'll call Mister X when I was suddenly slapped in the face by
censorship myself. The Dannevirke News, a small supplement to the Hawkes Bay
Today, has decided that I need to stop talking about the war. I need to
concentrate on local things. Well, is a street in Palmerston North local
enough? Because radical and threatening Islam is there. Do we need a suicide
bomber to tear apart a few shops on High Street before this becomes local?
And what war exactly was I talking about? I didn't mention Iraq. Not
recently anyway. And while I know that New Zealand media (which answers to
their government) has no love of America, and has predictably marched in
lockstep with the United Nations for years (mostly under the gone,
unlamented criminal Kofi Annan), this issue of censorship isn't about the
war in Iraq. It's about the liberal PC threat that I mentioned in my last
rant. You don't want to hear the word Nazi?? It's all well and good to bury
your head in the sand. You can pretend that bad things don't exist. You can
forget that sixty years ago you were on the verge of becoming a small part
of the Japanese Empire, (who would have been eventually conquered by the
Nazis anyway). You can even forget that terrorists are killing people in the
south pacific and that Ahmadenijad has promised to KILL YOU. But remember
this. When you ignore evil, it comes back. When you turn your back on evil,
it tends to bite you in the ass. Now... censor that.

No comments: