Thursday, May 21, 2009

Be Prepared For Life's Hummingbirds

Taking a break from the rant idea for just a second. I am a pretty spiritual person. I believe in my Lord and Savior, and I know that He believes in me. But faith is a pretty personal thing, and I'm not going to try to tell anyone else how or what they should believe. This doesn't have to have anything to do with that.

The other day, I was walking to work, thinking about my dreams and goals and knowing that if I live my life as the best person I can and work hard and pursue my dreams and prepare for their fullfillment (in fact, I thank God for granting them before I see them because I know He will), then they'll happen. God doesn't give you gifts that he doesn't intend for you to use. Just think of the bit from the first Superman movie. Pa Kent tells Clark that he was here for a reason, and he didn't think it was for kicking field goals. My gifts are great, I love 'em, and I love the Lord for giving them to me. Anyway, I'm walking down the road thinking about this, and from out of nowhere, a hummingbird appears, hovers about six feet from me, looking straight at me, and then shoots away.
Okay, now it'd be easy to say it was just a hummingbird. The weather is right for hummingbirds. No big deal. Ah, but no. I don't believe in accidents. I believe in gifts. I choose to believe that the hummingbird was a smile from the Lord. It was a message. I have accepted the Lord as my savior, and as a great friend who never gives up on me. So I also accept the fact that He is prepared to reach down and hand me gifts once in a while.
So am I telling you to do the same thing? No. As I said, faith is a personal thing. Believe as you choose. I would just respectfully suggest that you sometimes accept good things put in your path not as accidents, but as gifts. Even if they're just pretty things that brighten your day for a second. I happen to believe that if you are prepared to do that, you'll find that they become more and more commonplace. Be prepared for life's hummingbirds.

No comments: